WHAT WE DO
We take on all kinds of renovation projects in new and traditional homes. We also will build your extension to get that extra space you need. We have worked on all sorts of project in both new and old houses in the Bath and North Somerset area.
There is no project too small – that said, if we can help you to do a project yourself and save some money, we will. After all we are the team behind DIY Doctor, the leading DIY and Home Improvement website in the UK.
STEPS WE TAKE
We can work with you from concept to completion of your project. We have experts that can help with every step of the way. These are the key steps that we will help you with:
- Understanding your project: We will work with you and your architect, if you have one, to understand what you want and ensure that it can be built
- Delivering Value for money: When we understand what you want, we can ensure that you get it and at a great price. However we will not compromise our standards, ever
- Keeping you in the driving seat: This is your home and we work for you. We will ensure that you always know what is going on and why we are doing what we are doing
- Keeping flexible: Wherever possible we will be flexible, and where it is not possible we’ll explain why not or what are the impacts of making late changes
- Lifetime guarantee on craftsmanship: When we work, we expect it to last so we will guarantee any work that we do
If you have any questions we would be happy to answer them, so please get in touch. You can find out how to reach us here.
Here are some of the things that people tend to ask us:
- Where do you work?
- We work all over Bath and North Somerset. We are based between Frome and Shepton Mallet, and have worked on projects from Trowbridge to Wells and from South Bristol to Wincanton. See the map on our home page for a better idea.
- What type of work do you do?
- We do all kinds of work on old and new houses. We build extensions and complete renovation projects. We genuinely mean it when we say, “No project too small”, but we also will explain how you can do it yourself and save spending your money when you don’t need to. We have a full range of tradesman at our disposal so there is no part of a project that we cannot do.
- Do you have experience with period or listed properties?
- Most of our work is with period properties. We are very experienced with working on renovation projects in listed buildings and understand the constraints involved. It adds an extra dimension to the project that we enjoy, particularly where we are preserving traditional building techniques.
- How long will the work take?
- This will depend on the project and how much work needs to be done. We will explain the project plan and timelines with you before we start. As a guide a ground floor extension will typically take around 12-14 weeks to plan, including surveying and designing, submitting the planning application and structural calculations and drawings. The actual build will take a similar length of time after this. This is a broad estimate for a typical ground floor kitchen extension – if there is such a thing!
- Do I need Planning Permission?
- This will depend on what you are wanting so we will advise you as part of your quotation process. If you would like us to prepare all the necessary applications for you this is something that we can do too. If we work with you for the planning and design process there is no obligation for us to complete the build if you would prefer someone else to do it. Obviously we hope you do want us to complete the job, but understand that you might want flexibility here.
- Can I make changes as we go along?
- Yes, of course. We will accommodate changes as far as possible, but we will also tell you in advance when we need your confirmed decisions so that you know when we will pass the point where changes can be made. The more warning that you give us, the easier changes can be made. However insignificant your changes are, please mention them or places where you might be wavering on your decision so that we can explain the implications and help you get to a firm decision.
- Will you decorate, fit the kitchen, etc?
- Yes, we will. However we would treat this as a separate part of the project. Our quotation will be to complete the build, including final sign off from Building Control. It will not include any form of decoration or finish unless you specifically requested it. By taking this approach you can keep flexible or even do the decorating yourself – something we will whole heartedly support from our sister company DIY Doctor. Obviously we hope that we can finish the project for you, but this is an area where there are a huge amount of options so there is no need to commit immediately. We will discuss how you want to proceed at an appropriate time.
- Can I have a testimonial or visit a project you have completed?
- Yes, we will try and find a project like yours and near you that you can visit. We can provide you references from recent customer too. They will be able to tell you exactly what it is like working with us.
- Are you insured?
- Yes, so you and your home is protected and, more importantly from our point of view, so is our livelihood. Before the start of your project your project manager will show you a copy of our insurance. At this point he will also work through our contract with you, so both parties are further protected.
- When can I start?
- We can come and see you straight away – please get in touch here to book an appointment. Usually we can start a project in 2-3 weeks, but this will depend on what your project is and how ready you are. When we come and see you we will discuss the timeline with you to ensure that all the planning and design for the project is in place before we actually start work.
- Who will manage my project?
- You will be given a dedicated project manager and there will be a foreman on site to run the teams working on site. If you have any questions about the project please speak to your project manager, but he will ensure that you have regular meetings during the build to make sure that you are up to date with everything that it happening.
- How do I get started?
- Get in touch with us, or arrange for us to call you back at a time which is convenient for you. We’d love to hear about your project and how we can help you get it done. Once we have a rough idea about what you want, when you want it and how we can help, we’ll book a time to come and see you to discuss the project in more detail, and for you to see if you think we’re the right people to help you realise your dream.